Friday the 13th Service Outage
This morning we experienced an outage of both our customer facing applications as well as our backend servers which run our users transfers. This outage lasted for approximately 3 hours from ~7:00 am PST to 10:00 am Friday, September 13th 2013.
The outage was caused by one of our critical pieces of infrastructure (our NAT server) becoming unreachable. We believe this issue was most likely caused by issues Amazon experienced with their AWS EC2 hosting platform which we use to run our servers. Related problems in our infrastructure management tools delayed our recovery efforts, preventing us from executing our recovery plan as quickly as we would like.
A number of jobs that were running at the time experienced crashes. Automated e-mails will have already notified these users, and we are reaching out to them individually to communicate how we are recovering their transfers.
All schedules that were scheduled to run during the outage period were placed into our queue system, and were run when our services came back online at 10:00 am PST.
If you experienced any form of impact from this outage and haven’t received a communication from us, please don’t hesitate to contact us at email@example.com. If you have any other questions or feedback, please don’t hesitate to reach out to us.
We take any outages to our services very seriously, particularly when they impact our users transfers. We are investigating the root causes of the issue, and will be taking appropriate measures to protect our systems against similar outages in the future.
- Serving Our Core Customers
- Three Ways to Defend Against Ransomware Like Cryptolocker
- World Backup Day 2016
- Helping Copy and CudaDrive Users Find A New Home
- Making A Cloud Migration Communication Plan
- Thinking About Backups
- Greener Pastures for GreenQloud
- Vital Lessons from the OPM Hack
- Announcing Google Cloud Storage Support
- Moving to Google Photos
- Mover Partners with Dropbox for Business
- Incremental Feature Updated
- Migrating to Google Drive
- Welcoming Bitcasa
- Rescuing Ubuntu One
- Cloud Storage Services Affected by Heartbleed Bug
- New Pricing for 2014
- How to Calculate Total Google Drive for Work Data Storage
- World Backup Day 2014
- Why We Chose Keen IO
- Paying for Cloud Storage is Temporary
- Switching to Cloud Storage
- Cloud Closures Remind Us of the Importance of Backups
- Friday the 13th Service Outage
- 19 Cloud Connectors
- Mover Adds Copy Support
- Data Gravity
- SEC Financial Regulations Rule 17a and the Cloud
- HIPAA Health Regulations in the Cloud
- SFTP Private Key Addition
- Mover Ranked First in Forbes List of Companies to Watch
- Yandex.Disk is Joining Mover
- We're Merging Backup Box Into Mover
- Mover Integrates WebDAV
- Mover and SharePoint
- SmugMug Joins With Mover
- Start Connecting with Egnyte