Moving to Google Photos
With the recent separation of Google Photos from Google+, lots of people are looking for a reason to take advantage of the free, unlimited storage the service provides for photos. Here’s a quick rundown on how to use Mover to get your photos into Google’s new photo service – free from one Personal Connector to another!
Checking For Google Photos
Most Google Drive accounts should already have the Google Photos option on the left hand side. If you don’t yet, it might be due to the type of account (i.e. Google Drive for Work) or when you signed up for Drive.
Unlocking The Photos Folder
In order for Mover to be able to get at your Google Photos, you’ll need to make sure you’ve added the appropriate folder to Google Drive. To access your Google Photos folder in Google Drive, you’ll want to follow these steps:
- Click the gear icon on the top right, under your Google avatar picture.
- Click on Settings.
- At the bottom of the general settings is an option that reads “Create a Google Photos folder.” Check this box and hit Done.
Using Mover To Transfer
To migrate your photos, open up our app and connect your Google Drive account – if you haven’t done this before, we have an article on how to do just that in our Knowledge Base here. You’ll also want to connect whatever service you want to migrate from.
From there, it’s a few simple steps in our app. Piece of cake!
June 3, 2015 – It looks as though you’ll also need to enable Google Photos to see the files in Google Drive. This setting can be found at https://photos.google.com/settings and it appears at this time that these photos will count towards your storage quota.
February 28, 2018 - Updated to fix broken links.
- Serving Our Core Customers
- Three Ways to Defend Against Ransomware Like Cryptolocker
- World Backup Day 2016
- Helping Copy and CudaDrive Users Find A New Home
- Making A Cloud Migration Communication Plan
- Thinking About Backups
- Greener Pastures for GreenQloud
- Vital Lessons from the OPM Hack
- Announcing Google Cloud Storage Support
- Moving to Google Photos
- Mover Partners with Dropbox for Business
- Incremental Feature Updated
- Migrating to Google Drive
- Welcoming Bitcasa
- Rescuing Ubuntu One
- Cloud Storage Services Affected by Heartbleed Bug
- New Pricing for 2014
- How to Calculate Total Google Drive for Work Data Storage
- World Backup Day 2014
- Why We Chose Keen IO
- Paying for Cloud Storage is Temporary
- Switching to Cloud Storage
- Cloud Closures Remind Us of the Importance of Backups
- Friday the 13th Service Outage
- 19 Cloud Connectors
- Mover Adds Copy Support
- Data Gravity
- SEC Financial Regulations Rule 17a and the Cloud
- HIPAA Health Regulations in the Cloud
- SFTP Private Key Addition
- Mover Ranked First in Forbes List of Companies to Watch
- Yandex.Disk is Joining Mover
- We're Merging Backup Box Into Mover
- Mover Integrates WebDAV
- Mover and SharePoint
- SmugMug Joins With Mover
- Start Connecting with Egnyte